Today I had the opportunity to go to an assisted living facility to sing hymns. I went with some other people from church and residents of the assisted-living community joined us. It was a wonderful experience. I loved being able to gather with others to praise God through song. The residents of the community absolutely loved to sing and praise God, but I couldn't help but notice that most of them were no longer able to read the words printed in the hymnals. I realized that while I love the hymns, I don't know all of the words to a single hymn. For that reason, I think I should memorize all of the versus to some of my favorite hymns. I think I will start with "I Believe in Christ," "I Know That My Redeemer Lives," and "I Need Thee Every Hour."
1 comment:
I've been thinking about this post. The hymns are so powerful, and memorizing the lyrics can also help you recall them at times of need...do you remember my "Israel, Israel God is Calling Story?"
Also another stage in your life when it is useful to have several verses memorized is before you lose your eyesight, but rather when you have a wiggly baby/toddler in your lap who likes to rip pages of books making the hymnal a non-option! :o)
Post a Comment